SGS is the world’s leading inspection, verification, testing and certification company. SGS is recognised as the global benchmark for quality and integrity. With more than 75,000 employees, they operate a network of more than 1,500 offices and laboratories around the world. The online presence of SGS across the globe consisted of dozens of websites in over twenty languages. In 2011, SGS embarked on a strategic re-platform and re-design exercise to standardise the production, maintenance and release of web content for all their websites. This included the improvement of their Enterprise Search solution based on Oracle’s Endeca Information Discovery software suite.
Excogis was responsible for designing and implementing the Enterprise Search solution for the re-platform project. The solution had to provide advanced search and filtering (faceted search/navigation) on the unstructured web content of more than fifty five (55) localised country websites in more than twenty (20) different languages. Furthermore, the relevance of the results had to be specific to the Service Type, Industry or Theme that the user was interested in.
For the SGS project, Excogis delivered the following:
- Hardware sizing of a redundant architecture
- Configuration of the Endeca search index on a per language basis
- Architecture design for the content acquisition, search indexing and website integration
- Design of a deployment strategy for maintaining and managing the 20+ search index configurations and 150+ website crawls
- Integration of the search solution in the websites powered by the Sitecore Content Management System (CMS)
- Deployment of the solution to Production